Photo

Translating Evidence Into Practice September 22-25, 2011 • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Zac

Zac

Grande amico del forum

• Amministratori
  • 2896 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 18:48:17

Link: http://www.iacfsme.o...61/Default.aspx

Immagine inserita

Translating Evidence into Practice
September 22-25, 2011 • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Agenda

September 22, 2011
Professional Workshops for Physicians and Healthcare Professionals

Morning Session: 9:00 am- 12:00 pm

Workshop 1

How to Apply for Grants
The National Institutes of Health (NIH), part of the United States Department of Health & Human Services, is the primary U.S. Federal agency for conducting and supporting medical research. To realize its mission of extending healthy life and reducing the burdens of illness and disability, NIH funds grants that support the advancement of fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems. As you plan, write and then submit an NIH application for a grant, it is important to know some important submission basics, such as what type of application will be needed (paper or electronic) and which forms are necessary, as well as links to contacts, important deadlines, a general timeline, and guidelines for tracking your application through the process. This Workshop will provide a useful overview of the NIH granting application process. Attendees will receive information on both the grant writing as well as how grants are reviewed to determine scientific and programmatic merit. Award fiscal monitoring, reporting and compliance issues will be discussed. Investigators are encouraged to review the NIH website for the fundamentals of grant writing prior to attending the workshop (http://grants.nih.go...nts_process.htm).

Dennis F. Mangan, Ph.D.

Chair, Trans-NIH ME/CFS Research Working Group, Office of Research on Women's Health, U.S. National Institutes of Health

Workshop 2

Treating Sleep, Pain and Fatigue in ME/ CFS Patients
Two experienced clinicians will discuss current issues in the management of PWCs (Persons with CFS or FM). Using a combination of brief lectures and actual cases, Drs. Bateman and Lapp hope to stimulate engaging discussions about the practical management of sleep, pain, fatigue, orthostatic problems, maladaptive behaviors, and 'whatever.' Attendees are encouraged to bring their questions to the workshop."

* This workshop will be repeated in the afternoon session

Charles W. Lapp, M.D.

Associate Clinical Professor, Duke University Medical Center, Charlotte, NC

Medical Director, Hunter-Hopkins Center, Charlotte, NC

Lucinda Bateman, M.D.

Adjunct Clinical Faculty, Departments of Anesthesiology, Family & Preventive Medicine, and Internal Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT

Director, Fatigue Consultation Clinic, Salt Lake City, UT

Workshop 3

Pediatrics and CFS/ME
Workshop will provide an Introduction and brief description of CFS/ME in Paediatrics and will cover an overview of paediatric case definitions and other diagnostic issues: outline of illness severity, principal symptoms, relationship to puberty and immunisations, the importance of setting up a paediatric consultation and getting the parents involved. Attendees will walk through the patient evaluation process focusing on making the diagnosis taking into consideration such factors as history, psychological evaluation, physical examination, laboratory testing and other investigations. Discussion on diagnosis leads to the development of a Management / Treatment Plan with considerations for Lifestyle (including exercise, stress and dietary approaches), Addressing specific symptoms (sleep, pain, orthostatic intolerance etc.), Medication options, Counselling (child and family). Children diagnosed with CFS/ME will have special Educational needs such as Home-schooling, part-time attendance, material for teachers, travel and coping with exams and special social needs such as Social needs, interaction with peers, sports, other activities and the use of Parent and peer support groups to help cope. Discussion will conclude with a discussion on psychological effects on paediatric patients and their families, masked depression, suicide risk, isolation and family dynamics and conclude with a discussion of related conditions such as fibromyalgia, migraine, polycystic ovaries, and irritable bowel

Rosamund Vallings, MNZM, MB BS

Board Member, IACFS/ME

Family Physician, Howick Health and Medical Clinic, Auckland, New Zealand

Teruhisa Miike, M.D, Ph.D.

Board Member, IACFSME

Chief, Hyogo Children's Sleep and Development Medical Research Center, Hyogo, Japan

Workshop 4

Fibromyalgia Theory and Practice
The workshop will begin with an overview of the latest research findings in fibromyalgia and related chronic pain states, A particular focus will be on research suggesting that there are different underlying mechanisms of pain that will respond to different types of treatment. Attendees will be taught how to perform a clinical assessment that determines the underlying mechanism(s) of pain that an individual is experiencing, and then base treatment on those underlying mechanisms. The advantages of using combined pharmacological and non-pharmacological approaches will be emphasized. This approach moves towards "personalized analgesia" for the chronic pain

Daniel J. Clauw, M.D.

Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI

12:00 pm - 1:30 pm

Lunch Break/Visit Exhibits

Note: Lunch is Self Pay from hotel and local restaurants

Afternoon Session: 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm

Workshop 5

Behavioral Assessment and Treatment of ME/CFS
In this introductory workshop on CFS and FM, participants will learn about practical methods of behavioral assessment and individualized treatment strategies. Our approach consists of self-management focused interventions and non-pharmacologic strategies for clinicians that can offer realistic hope for improvement in these patients. This workshop will benefit clinicians who work with CFS and FM patients.

Fred Friedberg, Ph.D.

President, IACFS/ME

Research Associate Professor, Stonybrook University, Stonybrook, NY

Leonard Jason, Ph.D.

Professor, DePaul University, Chicago, IL

Workshop 6

Exercise Intolerance: Guide to Management and Treatment
This workshop will provide an overview of exercise intolerance and the management of post-exertional symptoms in CFS/ME. A review of assessment tools for measuring physiological responses during exercise will be included, and case studies examining both successes and common failures of persons with CFS/ME will be presented. Given the problem of exercise intolerance in CFS/ME, the workshop will conclude with a practical model that a clinician can use to safely and successfully implement activity management strategies.

Staci R. Stevens, M.A.

Vice President, IACFS/ME

Founding Executive Director, Fatigue Lab, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA

Christopher R. Snell, Ph.D.

Professor, Department of Sport Sciences, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA

J. Mark VanNess, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Department of Sport Sciences, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA

Adjunct Professor, Department of Bioengineering, University of the Pacific

Adjunct Instructor, Department of Biology, University of the Pacific

Brian D. Moore, Ph.D., ATC

Assistant Professor, Sport Sciences Dept, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA

Workshop 7

Fibromyalgia Assessment and Treatment
Chronic widespread pain (CWP) is associated with many somatic symptoms, including fatigue, anxiety, depressed mood, and insomnia. Patients at the extreme end of the CWP spectrum have been labeled with fibromyalgia (FM). These patients show signs of abnormal pain processing including increased central pain sensitivity and dysfunctional endogenous pain modulation. During this workshop mechanism based assessments and therapies of FM will be discussed

Roland Staud, M.D.

Professor, University of Florida, Gainsville, FL

Workshop 8

Treating Sleep, Pain and Fatigue in ME/ CFS Patients
Two experienced clinicians will discuss current issues in the management of PWCs (Persons with CFS or FM). Using a combination of brief lectures and actual cases, Drs. Bateman and Lapp hope to stimulate engaging discussions about the practical management of sleep, pain, fatigue, orthostatic problems, maladaptive behaviors, and 'whatever.' Attendees are encouraged to bring their questions to the workshop.

Charles W. Lapp, M.D.

Associate Clinical Professor, Duke University Medical Center, Charlotte, NC

Medical Director, Hunter-Hopkins Center, Charlotte, NC

Lucinda Bateman, M.D.

Adjunct Clinical Faculty, Departments of Anesthesiology, Family & Preventive Medicine, and Internal Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT

September 22-25, 2011

General Session Agenda-Friday, September 23rd

8:30 am - 8:45 am

Welcome and Introduction

Fred Friedberg, Ph.D.

President, IACFS/ME

Research Associate Professor, Stony Brook University

8:45 am - 9:15 am

Plenary session: Gammaretroviruses of mice and their links to prostate cancer and CFS/ME

Paper Sessions following all the papers, the panel members will field questions written on cards by the audience and given to the chair as time permits.

9:15 am – 10:30 am

Session: Virology Research

Session Chair: Jose Montoya, M.D.

Associate Professor of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA

Blood XMRV Scientific Research Working Group: Latest Findings

Graham Simmons, Ph.D.

Detection Of Anti-XMRV Antibodies In Serum of CFS Patients and Healthy Blood Donors in Belgium

Kenny De Meirleir, M.D.

Detection of MLV-like Gag Sequences in Blood and Cell Lines Incubated With Plasma From CFS Patients and Controls

Maureen Hanson, Ph.D.

Chronic Fatigue, Nonrestorative sleep, Musculoskeletal Pain, and Depression in a Disabled Cohort of Survivors of Acute SARS Viral Disease

Harvey Moldofsky, M.D., Dip.Psych., FRCPC, FAPA

10:30am – 10:45 am

Break / Visit Exhibits

10:45am-11:45am

Session: Virology Research and Review

Session Chair: Jose Montoya, M.D.

Associate Professor of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA

Viruses and CFS/ME

Jose Montoya, M.D.

The Case FOR Human Gamma Retroviruses (HGRV) in CFS/ME

Judy Mikovits, Ph.D.

The Case AGAINST Human Gamma Retroviruses (HGRV) in CFS/ME
John Coffin, Ph.D.

11:45 am – 12:30 pm

Session: Treatment Advances

Chair: Rosamund Vallings, MNZM, MB BS

Board Member, IACFS/ME

Family Physician, Howick Health and Medical Clinic, Auckland, New Zealand

Health/Performance and Response Status of XMRV/pMRV Antibody Positive vs. Negative Chronic Fatigue

Syndrome (CFS) Subjects in a Phase III Clinical Trial

David R. Strayer, M.D.

Rifampin Augments the Effects of Oxymatrine/Equilibrant (oxm/equi) In Patients with Myalgic

Encephalomyelitis/CFS

John K. Chia, M.D.

Brief Self- Management of UCF/CFS in Primary Care: A Randomized Trial

Fred Friedberg, Ph.D.

12:30 pm - 2:00 pm

Lunch Break/Visit Exhibitors

Note: Lunch is Self Pay from hotel and local restaurants

2:00 pm – 3:00 pm

Session: Fibromyalgia: Are Tender Points Necessary? A Debate

Chair: Lucinda Bateman, M.D.

Tender Points are Important

Roland Staud, M.D.

Tender Points are Unnecessary

Daniel J. Clauw, M.D.

3:00 pm – 3:30pm

Break / Visit Exhibits

3:30 pm-5:30 pm

Session: Diagnosing CFS/ME; Difficult Clinical Cases

Session Chair: Nancy Klimas, M.D.

Immediate Past President, IACFS/ME

Professor of Medicine, Microbiology, Immunology and Psychology, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine and Miami VA Medical Center

Case Presentations by : Charles Lapp, M.D., Lucinda Bateman, MD, Rosamund Vallings, MNZM, MB BS, Derek Enlander, M.D.

5:30 pm - 6:00 pm

Visit Poster Presentations / Exhibits

General Session Agenda-Saturday, September 24th

8:30 am – 9:30 am

Session: Case Definitions for Research and Practice

Chair: Kenneth J. Friedman, PhD

The New International Consensus Criteria for ME: Content and Context
Bruce M. Carruthers, M.D.

Contrasting Case Definitions
Leonard Jason, Ph.D.

Data Mining
Leonard Jason, Ph.D.

Pathways to Pathogenesis:Standardized Measures of CFS/ME Illness Domains
Elizabeth R.Unger, M.D., Ph.D.

Chair: Kenneth Friedman, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Physiology (retired)

Adjunct Instructor, Castleton State College

Research Associate, Green Mountain College

Contrasting Case Definitions

Leonard Jason, Ph.D.

Data Mining

Leonard Jason, Ph.D.

Elizabeth R.Unger, M.D., Ph.D.

9:30 am – 10:30 am

Session: Identifying Abnormalities in CFS/ME: The Importance of Exercise Challenge

Chair Staci R. Stevens, M.A.

Board Member, IACFS/ME

Founding Executive Director, Fatigue Lab, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA

Exercise Testing to Quantify Effects of Fatigue on Functional Capacity in Patients With CFS

Betsy A. Keller, Ph.D.

The Importance of Exercise Challenge

Christopher Snell, Ph.D.

10:30-11:00 am Break/Visit Exhibits

11:00 am – 12:15 pm

Session 9: The Latest Research in Immunology

Chair: Nancy Klimas, M.D.

Immediate Past President, IACFS/ME

Professor of Medicine, Microbiology, Immunology and Psychology, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine and Miami VA Medical Center

Natural Killer Cell Number and Function in a Prospective Cohort of Adolescents with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Controls Following Mononucleosis

Benjamin Katz, M.D.

Disparities In Innate and Adaptive Immune Cell Activities in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Ekua W. Brenu, PhD candidate

Longitudinal Assessment of Adaptive Immune Regulation in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Promoter DNA Methylation and Expression of Perforin in CFS and Controls

Virginia R. Falkenberg, Ph.D.

12:15 pm – 1:30 pm

Lunch Break/Visit Exhibits

Note: Lunch is Self Pay from hotel and local restaurants.

Breakout Session: Mainstreaming ME/CFS Researchers and Healthcare Providers into Our Peer Communities

Chair: Kenneth J. Friedman, PhD
Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Physiology (retired)
IACFS/ME Board Member

1:30 pm – 2:30 pm

Session: New Developments in Pediatric ME/CFS

Chair: Teruhisa Miike, M.D, Ph.D.

Board Member, IACFSME

Chief, Hyogo Children's Sleep and Development Medical Research Center, Hyogo, Japan

Linking Lymphocyte Metabolites with Clinical Course in Post-Infectious Fatigue

Gordon Broderick, Ph.D.

A Trial For Prevention of CCFS Onset From The View Point of Sleep Issue

Terusha Miike, M.D., Ph.D.

Therapeutic Outcome by Two-Months Intensive Sleep-Wake Circadian Rhythm Treatments in

Japanese Children and Adolescents with Chronic Fatigue

Seiki Tajima, M.D.

2:30 pm - 3:00pm

Break / Visit Exhibits

3:00 pm – 4:00 pm

Session: New Developments in Epidemiology

Chair: Elizabeth Unger, M.D., Ph.D.

Chief, Chronic Viral diseases Branch, Division of High-Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Center for Disease Control and Prevention

Natural History

Leonard Jason, Ph.D.

CFS Knowledge And Illness Management Behavior Among U.S. Healthcare Providers and The Public

Dana J. Brimmer, Ph.D., MPH

Profile of the Patient with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Experience with a Population-Based Registry

Jose Alegre, M.D.

4:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Visit Poster Presentations / Exhibits

5:00 pm - 6:00 pm

IACFS/ME Membership Business Meeting

6:00 pm – 7:00 pm

IACFS/ME Social/Cocktails Hour

7:00 pm - 8:00 pm

IACFS/ME Banquet Dinner

Ten Important Facts Derived from M.E./CFS History and That Can Improve M.E./CFS Research

Byron M. Hyde M.D.

Founder and Chairperson, Nightingale Research Foundation

Private Practice, Ottawa

8:00 pm – 9:00 pm

Awards Presentation<b><br style="page-break-before: always;" clear="all"> </b>

General Session Agenda-Sunday, September 25th

8:30 am - 10:00 am

Session 12: Research Developments in Genomics and Genetics

Chair:

Expression Patterns of miRNAs in Lymphocytes In Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Pathway-Focused Genetic Evaluation of Immune and Inflammation Related Genes in CFS

Mangalathu S. Rajeevan, Ph.D.

Gene Expression Of Sensory Ion Channels, Adrenegic Receptors and Cytokines: Potential Biomarkers for CFS and

Fibromyalgia

Lucinda Bateman, M.D.

Gene-Exposure Interactions In The Etiology Of Gulf War Illness: Evidence Of Increased Vulnerability to

Neurotoxicants in Identifiable Veteran Subgroups

Lea Steele, Ph.D.

Comparing Gene Expression Patterns in CFS and GWI Using the Kerr ME/CFS Platform

Lina Garcia, M.D.

10:00 am – 10:15 am

Break

10:15 am – 11:45 am

Session: Advances in Brain and Neuroendocrine Functioning

Chair: Andrew H. Miller, M.D.

Director, of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA

Regional Grey and White Matter Volumetric Changes in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (myalgic encephalomyelitis): A

Voxel-Based Morphometry 3T MRI Study

I. H. Treasaden, M.B., B.S., LRCP, MRCS, FRCPsych, LLM

Evidence For Reduced Aldosterone in Persons with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Roumiana S. Boneva, M.D., Ph.D.

Interaction of Self-And Illness-Related Cognitive Processing In The Right Anterior Insula of CFS Patients: An fMRI Study

Andrew H. Miller, M.D.

Decreased Basal Ganglia Activation in CFS Subjects is Associated With Increased Fatigue

Andrew H. Miller, M.D.

Assessment of Regional Cerebral Blood Flow in CFS Using Arterial Spin Labeling MRI

Jonathan P. Dyke, Ph.D.

11:45 am – 1:00 pm

Lunch / Visit Exhibits

Networking Lunch - Offering an opportunity for clinicians to network and talk about assessment and treatment issues.

1:00 pm – 2:00 pm

Session: IACFS/ME Clinical Practice Guidelines: A New Primer

Guidelines Panel

Fred Friedberg, Ph.D., Rosemary Underhill, M.D., Rosamund Vallings, MNZM, MB BS, Alan Gurwitt, M.D.

Leonard A. Jason, Ph.D., Lucinda Bateman, M.D., Kenneth Friedman, Ph.D.

2:00 pm – 2:30 pm

Summary of the Conference

Anthony L. Komaroff, M.D.

Simcox-Clifford-Higby Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA

Senior Physician, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA

Editor-in-Chief and Publisher, Harvard Health Publications Division, Harvard Medical School

2:30 pm

Conference Concludes

<b>
<br style=""> <br style=""> </b>

Zac
Amministrazione

--------------------
"In medicina tutto quello che è sconosciuto è malattia mentale" (...)
"Una delle malattie più diffuse è la diagnosi." (Karl Kraus)
NO_CFS.gif

Le foto di Zac qui: PhotoZac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tutti i testi degli articoli e la veste grafica sono proprietà esclusiva di CFSItalia.it e ne è vietata la riproduzione, totale o parziale,

senza esplicita autorizzazione da parte degli amministratori.

Le informazioni fornite in questo Forum non intendono sostituirsi né implicitamente né esplicitamente al parere professionale di un medico né a diagnosi, trattamento o prevenzione di qualsivoglia malattia e/o disturbo. CFSItalia.it non ha alcun controllo sul contenuto di siti terzi ai quali sia collegato tramite link e non potrà essere ritenuto responsabile per qualsivoglia danno causato da quei contenuti. Gli amministratori e moderatori non sono responsabili dei messaggi scritti dagli utenti sul forum.